Cville Contact Improv Co-op: Contact jams and classes in Charlottesville, VA
A community-owned, cooperatively-organized, not-for-profit, by-donation Contact Improv organization, with facilitated contact jams, classes, and other events in Charlottesville, VA (with dancers from all around Central Virginia: Richmond, Lynchburg, Louisa, Roanoke, Harrisonburg, and out of town visitors from all over!) Come dance and co-create with us!
Since March 2018, we've had 115 dancers participate in 51 classes and jams, with dozens of teachers and facilitators! New events beginning Feb. 24, 2020!
- 2020 update: Bi-weekly jam series, 2nd & 4th Mondays @ 6pm beginning Feb. 24th, 2020! @McGuffey Studio 20 (FB event)
- Feb. 24th, 2020: Matt will host: With a yoga nidra/guided meditation warmup, a review of various Contact Improv movements/concepts, a lab to explore with rotating partners, and a round robin/jam before closing circle. Please arrive early or on time!
- Get news via our announcements list - email organizers@cv illeci.com
Bi-weekly jam series, 2nd & 4th Mondays @ 6pm beginning Feb. 24th, 2020! @ McGuffey Art Center, Studio 20
Our new jams will creatively experiment with a variety of possible shapes (see below). All jams will be by donation, starting at $0, and welcoming to dancers of all levels. Donations for our not-for-profit events go toward hard costs such as studio rental and website hosting.
Please come as you are able and know that we only dance when we dance together. Your presence is important. We encourage everyone to arrive on time and stay through the closing circle.
Upcoming 2nd & 4th Mondays: Feb. 24, Mar. 9, Mar. 23, and more if you keep coming! (FB event)
Park in guest spots behind McGuffy (not against the building). Enter through side door closest to Market St.
Outside doors will be locked, but someone will let people in at side door until 6pm. Late arrivals will need to call the number posted on the door.
Matt will host this Mon. 2/24 @ 6pm: With a yoga nidra/guided meditation warmup, a review of various Contact Improv movements/concepts, a lab to explore with rotating partners, and a round robin/jam before closing circle. Please arrive early or on time!
New, Creative Jam Format
With the spirit of experimentation, the rotating facilitator will creatively tweak the format of each jam, to see what resonates and what?s possible. Each jam will continue to have a designated facilitator, opening circle check-ins, guided warm-up,
closing circle sharing, time for unstructured movement, and work within our shared Jam Guidelines. We will always have someone available to work with newcomers (or others) who want focused guidance into contact improvisation.
Some jam variations may include:
We need all of us together!
- Labs: We can explore specific skills or aspects of dancing through experiential workshoping, dialogue, and support to intentionally explore new edges together.
- Round robins: A dynamic witnessing circle in which we all learn through the friendly dialectic of observing and being observed.
- One-on-one?s: Dancers are paired and we practice co-learning through giving, receiving, and asking for feedback.
- The Underscore: A light framework we've practiced a few times in the Co-op, to help us focus on the shape and flow of our shared experience within a jam.
- Somatic research: Using visual forms such as writing or drawing to iteratively record, analyze, and share our experience of the dance.
- Blindfold jams: We create a safe container to explore the dance through sensory curation.
- Contact Improv 101: To welcome curious friends and solidify foundational skills.
The Cville CI Co-op functions because of the input of each of us in the community. We give as we are able and receive a fabulous community of local dancers and events out of our shared efforts. We need others to support the ongoing health of the co-op and those
of us organizing it. We could use help with:
Let us know if you are up for any of the above and we will coordinate!
- Outreach: Share social media events, forward emails, post to calendars you're aware of, invite friends.
- Facilitate a warm-up: Guide a CI or related somatic warm-up to help move the group toward dancing.
- Studio space: Provide access to alternate, financially reasonable studio space, should McGuffy be unavailable.
- Childcare: Occasionally offer childcare during select events so that parents can be accessibly included in dancing.
- Rideshares: Offer rides to/from jams for those who need one.
- Planning: Our last meeting had Matt, Emily, Megan, Brad and Ken. Come join our next one!
With yes, and...
Megan & Ken
writing for the Cville CI Co-op
Saturday June 22nd, 2019 10am-1pm:
Global Underscore Contact Jam
Hosted by Emily Wright, Ken Laster, and Megan Renfro
Saturday June 29th, 2019 10am-12:15pm:
C.I. Class with Brad Stoller: "Avalanche: Dancing Downhill"
Since March 2018, we've had 115 dancers participate in 51 classes and jams, with dozens of teachers and facilitators! Watch this space for new events in 2020.
Cville Contact Improv Co-op is a community of dancers who organize regular jams, classes, and other events to build and nurture the Contact Improvisation community in and around Charlottesville.
Email us, or get on our announcements list, via email@example.com
Like on Facebook.